When your husband mistakes a cardboard cutout of Ben Stiller for an actual concessions employee! Omg! Funny!
Sometimes I really suck at being a wife. Actually MOST OF THE TIME I suck at being a wife. I am about to contradict myself on a lot of levels here, so bear with me. I am the FIRST to say I am sorry to almost anyone including my husband. I am stubborn, mean, and in general a fairly disrespectful person with him at times.
The problem is this….we got married to fast, certain bargains that we agreed to were not upheld, (on both ends) and in general I am pretty much a bitter bitch at times. Now, while everyone else gets to see how WONDERFUL he is, and he is….there are so many people who think I am SOOO wonderful as well….these are the people who do not have to deal with us on an everyday basis, because IF you did, I GUARANTEE you would divorce me, and maybe him as well. I am the “cut off my nose to spite my face kind of girl.” If I do not believe I am in the wrong, I will refuse to apologize.
Now, in saying THAT I will say THIS, I am the FIRST person to apologize when I have done something super shitty and uncalled for. I believe whole-heartedly that apologies are the only way marriages survive. However, just because YOU believe you deserve an apology does not mean the other person:
1. is ready to give said apology
2. believes they are wrong.
I have never been one of those people to applogize just to make things better….HELL NO! I do not believe in saying things you do not mean (when your sober).
You saved me when I needed it most
I know that God was our host…
You are the most patient man I know
I think God knew you were the perfect beau…
Marriage has been quite tiresome it seems
BUT you now have me on your baseball team!
I don’t feel lonely on this day
Probably because you spoil me everyday…
You are my hero there is no doubt
You love me even when I’m acting out…
Thank you for putting up with me
I can’t imagine life without you Gary…
I love you…
My husband is a man of patience and loyalty
He whispers that I’m beautiful and treats me like royalty…
He’s put up with so much as I have worked through my pain
Sometimes I wonder if he stays wondering what’s left to gain…
I don’t know why he puts up with a wretch like me
I think if I were him I would toss me into the sea…
I am not an easy person to love for I wish it was so
Underneath it all I fall way below…
His patience baffles me on a daily basis
I sit and stand and I do lots of pacing
I do not feel worthy as I stop and reflect
It give me chills when he kisses my neck…
My hope is that he’ll stay through thick and through thin
Because I don’t think I’ll find another person like him….
Simply put? Because I’m not good at it and I hate to fail….
OK, just so you know, I approach most hard-to-deal-with subjects with humor, because it makes me feel better about my short-comings as a human being, because quite frankly I SUCK at this human thing quite a bit…especially the wife part….
Let see…Me as a wife in a nutshell… I am controlling, stubborn, mean, always right, egotistical, self-centered, impulsive, narcissistic, and sometimes down-right cruel.
My husband? Completely the opposite of me….kind, loving, thoughtful, others-centered, patient, good-natured, WONDERFUL overall husband!
How we’re still together? It can ONLY be GOD! It is the ONLY explanation I have….
I won’t lie, I pride myself on the inside about being good at many things that I do. I feel I am good at raising well-balanced children, maintaining a decent small business, and being a good friend. The one thing I SUCK the most at? Being a wife. It’s the one area that I contradict myself the most on. I expect things out of marriage that I am not necessarily always willing to give in return. I am not good with compromise, and I’m not good with forgiveness. Now…don’t get me wrong, I expect all of these from my husband, BUT I am not always great about returning the grace. It’s a terrible quality to have, I am NOT bragging clearly. Being a mother did not come naturally to me either. It took me YEARS to figure it out. I won’t say I have mastered it, but I think I am pretty good. But being a wife? Not so much….
Ugh….I have been married (this time) for 5 1/2 years (I don’t count the first one since he passed away, and I wasn’t married to the kids dad). Now and I can tell you that it’s been pretty miserable for my husband. It hasn’t ALL been bad, and I absolutely do not take full responsibility for where things have gone wrong. I wish I put my foot down FASTER in some areas, would’ve been more assertive in other areas, BUT the one thing I WASN’T, was NICE and LOVING. I feel like I was generally nice at first (like in the beginning), but when the results weren’t what I thought they should be; I was a venomous snake. See, I believe that I am right about things like 90% of the time, and truly I do believe this. I have had a lot of life experience and I think I am very smart, and intuitive most of the time. I had a marriage counselor once tell me, “You can be 100% right and be dead WRONG at the same time.” I was very confused by this statement. What she meant was, you can be right about something but completely wrong in your delivery, making the other person not even wanting to hear you out. How true is that? I will agree with her that it is true, but I am hot-headed with a short temper. Ask anyone who’s ever dated me.
I am working on this and I have a VERY patient husband. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like everyday of his life has been a living hell, CLOSE…(lol) but not everyday. I have done some things to make it better, and I will share these with you.
1. Kids, I learned early on that our kids are our kids SEPARATELY, meaning “You parent yours and I’ll parent mine.” We have very different parenting styles and I prefer mine. Clearly my kids have to do what they’re told by him, and be respectful to him, but for the most part I do the “parenting” portion with my children…I prefer it this way. It’s not the way I WANTED it when we got married but it is unfortunately the way it ended up. Step-families are very complicated and just because you think you have it all figured out BEFORE you get married, well I hate to say it my friends, but I bet you are sorely disappointed if you, yourself, are in a step-family situation. If you CAN parent together in this situation, my hats are off to you!
2. Money, You make yours and I will make mine. If it were up to me, we’d have separate accounts and just split all the bills evenly, but it’s working OK how it is jointly, we just don’t see eye to eye on how to handle our finances. I say that if this is the case, and you make a fairly equal amount of money or can split the bills evenly so that its overall fair, and everyone is happy…DO IT! Finances are NOT worth fighting about especially when it can be solved with separate checking accounts. I am completely for this. My husband is not, which is fine, we shall continue to see how this works out….
3. Sex, I have a TERRIBLE sex drive. There are 5 MILLION different reasons why this is and I will only list a couple…I think a lot of this is attributed to the fact that my estrogen was sky-high at 654 (it should be at 124, and is currently at 234). According to my doctor this is what has made me want to KILL anyone and everyone in my path (my whole life) about 2 weeks out of the month. She actually asked me how I wasn’t locked up in a loony bin with these numbers. (I asked her if she could admit me to the loony bin just so I could “go on vacation” for a few days. She got a good chuckle out of that. I also had like NO progesterone. Sky high estrogen – no progesterone = a VERY BITCHY woman! My doctor has me on progesterone, an estrogen blocker, and just before Thanksgiving I recently asked for an anti-depressant because the hormone control was not working solely as a problem solver like I thought it would. I LOVE my anti-depressant! I would eat that stuff like it was damn candy! If you’re wondering, so you can get yourself some happiness, and will-power to live, I am on Wellbutrin (300mg) BEST SHIT EVER!!! No weight gain side effects, and I think my sex drive has slightly improved.
I really am trying a harder to be a better wife but sometimes its just HARD! I don’t want to compromise and most of the time, lately, I just want to be alone, which isn’t fair to my husband obviously. It’s not like I don’t like him or love him, I totally do, but sometimes being married interferes with what I want to do, decisions I want to make without consulting another human being etc. I KNOW this is selfish so you don’t have to tell me. I am a MAJOR work in process and quite frankly I don’t know how he does it most weeks. Personally I don’t want to put up with me most days, so I really think God sent an angel because ONLY an angel could put up with me 99% of the time. Clearly I am very difficult….but hey, like I said, I am a work in progress…
So Husband, IF you read this, please know that I love you, I am completely aware of my shortcomings, and I am working on trying to be better…but I think it is going to take my whole life to really get it right….So for all the things I may do in the future that are shitty, I would like to take the time NOW to apologize…just to save time. lol
It recently came to my attention that someone close to me in my life believes that I think I am “perfect.” While I strive hard to achieve certain goals in my life I do not by any means believe I am perfect. I think I am a well-balanced mother, I think I have developed a business I can be proud of. I am not a very good daughter and I am not a very good wife. I struggle with these two roles because of my past and things that are beyond my control. I would like to get better at these roles, and I do believe that I have made excellent strides in doing so over the last 7 months.
DO I wish that sometimes I didn’t drink so much, once in a while, causing me to be mean to my husband….absolutely. Maybe I just shouldn’t drink and maybe that is something that could be worth looking into. HOWEVER; I feel like I take on a very heavy load of activities all week-long such as work and raising my two kids. I will FREELY admit that my husband is fairly neglected because I am a mom FIRST. These kids didn’t ask to be brought into this world and it is my job to make sure that I raise the best humans possible. I have to succeed at my job or I will have no income to help provide for my family. I rarely do anything for myself any more because I am so wrapped up in what is going on with everyone else….I have become THAT person. Anyone who knows me personally know I am pretty selfish and putting anyone elses needs before my own is a travesty. I have also come to understand that being selfish just is not a good trait to have.
We live in a step-family situation. Did you know that due to our personal situation that our pastor told us before we got married that we have an 80% chance of getting divorced? I can totally see why now that I have been married for almost 6 years.
1. My kids come first…
2. I have a full-time job….and to me it’s not just ANY job. It’s a job that is mentally draining due to all the conversations I have all week with people. I LOVE my job. Plus, I am self-employed so if I don’t work, I don’t get PAID!
3. My kids came to live with us last May full-time. Their dad and I used to split them 50/50. This definitely leaves less time for my husband and I, and a lot less time just for me to get things done. Now I am cooking dinner EVERY night and making sure the kids have homework done, chores done, running around to different sporting events and practices. This is really exhausting, and new to me since I used to split this responsibility with their dad.
4. I rarely have time to even think about sex, or have a sex drive for that matter! My energy is zapped from all the other shit I’m doing which is clearly a problem. I will have to work on this…but not today. Honestly if ANYONE knows how I can magically make this better I would LOVE to know!
Apparently because I know how to parent and do a few other things well this equivalates to me believing I am perfect. Anyone who knows me well knows damn well that I have no problem pointing out my own flaws and inadequacies. I am the FIRST person to apologize SPECIFICALLY for what I have done wrong in a given situation. Does this mean I am NEVER going to screw up again in a like fashion and manner? Absolutely not! And why? Because I am HUMAN and NOT perfect. This really hurt my feelings. First of all I by no means believe that I am perfect, nor do I even remotely act like I am perfect. I protect the layers of myself from harmful surroundings. I can be mean, hurtful and demanding….but I know for a fact that I am NOT alone in this. If you are in a step-family you can probably relate to this especially if you got remarried when your kids were a little older.
It’s like “Hey, let’s blend these 4-5 people together who don’t really know each other that well and see how long they can keep it together without getting divorced. Maybe we set ourselves up for failure by getting remarried once we have brought children into the mix. But I will say this about MY children. They are ALWAYS respectful, they do as they are asked with no fuss, they get great grades and are involved in many positive activities.
I will say this one more time….I AM NOT PERFECT!!!!! I will say however, that I feel slightly like I’m going off the deep end…so if anyone has a rope and would like to throw it over for me to grab onto I would really appreciate the grace…..
Oh, did I mention that I struggle with severe anxiety and depression as well? No? Ok, well throw that into the mix as well…
I have developed a new passion pizza! While in Seattle in May 2013, walking along the beautiful curbside city with my husband; I found the most PHENOMENAL pizzeria. It pains me that I can’t remember the name of it, because it is RESPONSIBLE for my newly developed love for pizza. I had some combination of white sauce, cheese, chicken, mushrooms and more cheese. It was the most amazing pizza I had ever eaten. I asked my husband several times if we could go back, he said yes of course, but as the days went by, we would forget or find someplace else amazing to eat. I have never forgotten that pizza and have talked constantly talked about trying my own version to replicate this pizza!
In December, my husband got me a pizza stone for Christmas. I have never been more thrilled with a gift probably……ever. Gary clearly knew I had developed a passion for pizza while on our trip in Seattle. I did nothing but talk about it to everybody we encountered when we got back!
Tonight, I was able to make him one of my first CUSTOM CREATIONS! I have been working all week to perfect the crusts that I bought from our local pizza shop Baci’s. Their crust is incredible, (and since I have yet to venture out to make my own) I use their crust. I’ve made a pesto/white sauce, chicken, tomato, and more cheese pizza. I’ve made an all meat pizza, and lots of varieties of chicken, but tonight my husband and I made the ultimate pizza!!!! My husband makes the most amazing chicken that he uses to make his Philly cheesesteak submarine sandwiches with! We decided to make our own Philly cheesesteak pizza. OMG!!!!!! It has the most phenomenal flavor I have ever witnessed in a pizza. If I could reach through the screen and give you a slice and taste of this heaven, believe me I would!!!! Between the two of us, we knocked this out of the park!!!! Can’t wait to make it again! I’ve enclosed pictures. Can you say YUUUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!??????